My MIT Application

 My oldest grandson and I were going through some of these old inventions, most of which were packed in a box in the basement.  One item in that box was a copy of my application to the MIT Media Lab.  I was hoping to attend graduate school there in the early 1990's.

I explained to him that the Media Lab was a different part of MIT; they were looking for students with a diverse background of interests, not just engineering.  Their feeling was that new discoveries happen when you apply knowledge from one field to solve a problem in another.  I put together this portfolio to show the vastly different skill sets I brought to the table.

He looked at the table of contents, which included my NASA experience, many inventions, publications, patents, awards, a book, photography and photojournalism, the fact that I wrote the music for a children's play, that I was an elementary school tutor in college and a 'Big Brother' for many years.  "Wow!", he said.  "So did you get in?"

He was incredulous when I told him they turned me down two years in a row.  "What on earth do you have to do to go there?  Get a Nobel Peace Prize?"  

I think I did him a disservice by sharing that story.  Now he probably thinks MIT is unattainable.

Here's the full portfolio: https://friedmanarchives.com/~download/blog/MIT%20Portfolio%20smaller.pdf

(More after the photo.)

===

In going through this for the first time in 30 years, I noticed these "Works in Progress" ideas, many of which I completely forgot about.  (These are the kinds of ideas you capture before they evaporate if you have a Data Egg. 🙂 )


The Trustworthy Digital Camera ended up being patented.  The Enhanced Voice Recognition is a great idea that I never pursued.  The Adaptive Overhead Projector was never pursued yet is now a staple of every projector in existence (and of course I get no compensation).  And the Holographic Optical Element is still a great idea but smartphone capability has pretty much eclipsed the quality that it would have produced.