Other Stuff

1980's - While in college I volunteered for the Student Tutorial Elementary Program, which paired college students with low-performing youth from underprivileged neighborhood schools.  The one-on-one attention the child received twice a week for a semester made a demonstrable difference according to their teachers.




1980s – 2000’s - I found the tutoring experience so rewarding that after I graduated I spent the next 25 years as a “Big Brother” to two fatherless boys.

The second one recently had a baby and I was made Honorary Grandfather.


2003 – I spent a semester teaching English in China at the University level.

(I'm the one with the shaved head.)

I actually blogged about the experience while there. You can read the blog in its original form here (along with video and sound on some pages), or it's available in book form (well, .pdf file) here. (You won't believe the opening to Chapter 1!)

1989 - I wrote the music (and was musical director) for a children's play. Here's an excerpt - that's me playing piano in the background. Probably the most sophisticated music I've ever written.