Electro-Magnet Bindings for Snowboards (2002)


Once upon a time, I learned how to snowboard.  Above is a picture of me and my friend Seth (for whom I was a "big brother" for many years).

I was never very limber (even in my youth), and I found the bindings too difficult to use.  “This is dumb.  Why not use an electromagnet instead, so I won’t have to touch my toes?”  

An electromagnet is an electronically-controlled magnet; you can turn it on and off with the press of a button.  And they’re pretty affordable too – here’s one that runs off one “D” battery that can lift 200 pounds!


My idea was to put electromagnets into my boots, and put a metal plate on top of the snowboard.  Just step on, flip a switch, and you’re locked on.  Flip the switch again and the board instantly disengages.

Someone else came up with the same idea.  This is their prototype.


Although I bought everything I needed to build a prototype, I never actually had the time to do so.  But apparently I wasn’t the only one to think of this – the photos and illustrations above came from a google search.  So a working version is out there somewhere.

The idea might also work for conventional snow skis, but the forces on those are considerably larger than that of a snowboard, so it might not work as well.


===
References: