Touch Tone ® Pad (1976)

 

Once upon a time, there were no cell phones.  If you wanted to make a phone call outside your house, you had to find a Pay Phone, which the phone company had installed pretty much everywhere.  To make a call, you’d put in a dime (later it was a quarter, unless it was a long distance call, in which case you put in several quarters and you could only talk for 3 minutes.)  Then you’d dial your number and talk.


UNLESS you were me.  When I was 15 I built a portable Touch-Tone Generator, which made the sounds you normally hear when dialing on a landline phone.  (Not many people know this, but it’s the sounds that do the dialing on those old phones.)  So if the payphone gave you a dial tone first, all I had to do is hold up the portable Touch Tone Generator’s speaker to the phone’s microphone, and dial the number I wanted.  A free phone call!  (Yes, it was illegal.  Please don’t tell anyone!)

The outside looked nice, but inside was another rat’s nest.  There was so little room in there that I had to remove the case of the 9V battery just so I could close the cover.

Side view.  This was before God invented a computer chip that could do the same thing. :-)